I had quite a few pregnant females come for treatment of their lower back pain. They did not know chiropractic could help them with there pain!
Did you know:
Spinal manipulation is a safe and effective tool for pregnancy-related low back pain (P-LBP). Multiple studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of manipulation for this population. Evidence-based recommendations for OB/Gyn’s include referral for chiropractic spinal manipulation.
Some facts about lower back pain during pregnancy.
- Researchers estimate that between 45-76% of pregnant women will experience low back pain at some stage of their pregnancy. (1-7) Up to 33% rate their pain as severe. (6)
- Pregnancy-related low back pain (P-LBP) leads to lower quality of life, restricted activity, and disability – with almost 25% of pregnant women taking sick leave for LBP. (2,)
- The recurrence rate for pregnancy-related low back pain is 85-90%.
- Consequently, almost 1 in 5 women who report P-LBP during a first pregnancy will avoid future pregnancies due to fear of returning symptoms.
1. Wu WH, Meijer OG, Uegaki K, Mens JM, van Diee¨n JH, Wuisman PI, et al. Pregnancy related pelvic girdle pain (PPP), I: terminology, clinical presentation, and prevalence. Eur Spine J 2004;13:575–89.
2. Pierce H, Homer C, Dahlen H, King J. Pregnancy related low back and/or pelvic girdle pain: listening to Australian women. Abstract presented at the XI International Forum for Low Back Pain Research in Primary Care, Melbourne, Australia, 15–18 March 2011.
3. Diakow P.R.P., Gadsby T.A., Gadsby J.B., Gleddie J.G., Leprich D.J., Scales A.M. Back pain during pregnancy and labor. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1991;14(2):116–118.
4. Berg G., Hammer M., Moller-Nielsen J., Linden U., Thorblad J. Low back pain in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 1988;71:71–75.
5. Mogren IM, Pohjanen AI. Low back pain and pelvic pain during pregnancy: prevalence and risk factors. Spine . 2005 Apr 15;30(8);983-91.
6. Hall J, Cleland J, Palmer J. The Effects of Manual Physical Therapy and Therapeutic Exercise on Peripartum Posterior Pelvic Pain: Two Case Reports. Journal of Manual and Manipulative Therapy. 2005;13(2): 94-102
7. Weis CA, et al. Prevalence of Low Back Pain, Pelvic Girdle Pain, and Combination Pain in a Pregnant Ontario Population. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2018